Friday, February 13, 2009

Interview - Michael J. Sullivan: The Crown Conspiracy

Mulluane | Friday, February 13, 2009 | 1 Comment so far

(Wacky Interview Series)


I read alot of author interviews and they are good, informative, interesting but rarely tell me all that much about an author's personality. I often find myself thinking, "Well that's all good and everything but I want to know more about the real live person behind the book."

So, I want to try an experiment that I hope will be fun for both the readers and authors. I want to conduct a "fun" interview, something that will give my readers a good laugh while giving them insights into the type of person their favorite author is. Besides that, I'm betting you get tired of reading the same old interviews with the same tired questions all the time.

I chose as my first victim interview, Michael J. Sullivan, author of The Crown Conspiracy. I got the impression that he had a great sense of humor from his book which was a really fun read. Much to my surprise he fell went for it!

So this is how I set this up, I gave Michael Sullivan 10 wacky questions, plus 2 bonus substitutes in case he didn't like or want to answer one of the original 10, he answered all 12! So here for your reading pleasure is a look inside of the mind of Michael J. Sullivan....


Author Micheal J. Sullivan


1) Which magical power would you like to have and why?

Oddly enough, this is a topic of discussion I have often had with my family, usually on long trips. This would perhaps explain my son's choice to have the power to change traffic lights at will, something he actually tries with intense concentration and sometimes it works! My wife picked the ability to communicate with sea mammals. She's one of those water people, more at home floating than walking. For myself, I chose the ability to make the world's best ice cream sundae. It might seem trivial, but everyone loves a good sundae, and no one will be pounding on my door in the middle of the night asking me to please rush into a burning building, or interrupt my vacation to thwart some evil mastermind. On the other hand, everyone who visits for dinner will defiantly be staying for desert.
2) What would you do if you had a time machine?

Philosophically I could argue that we all do. When you sleep, you disconnect from reality and wake up in the future, just not as far perhaps as you might like, or in some cases, too far. The inclination is to go back in time. Rarely do people ever want to go forward. I suppose it is the Superman Syndrome. If you go back you become superior to those around as you have the ability to know the future. Besides, I think these days people are more pessimistic about the future than they were, say, when Wells wrote his book. What would I do? I suspect the same thing I would with a Monkey's Paw, a genii's three wishes, or Lucy's invitation to kick a football…decline the offer.
3) What was your funniest encounter with a fan?

I'm not sure I can classify it as "funny," but the most memorable was when, at a book signing, a man greeted me by saying, "Although I still suffer from chronic depression, I don't hear the voices anymore." I wrote that down on a bit of scrap paper and hope to use it one day as the first sentence of a novel.
4) If you had a chance to spend some time with one mythical being, what would it be and why?

I would be curious to ask the Easter Bunny what's with the egg fetish. And I suppose maybe it is just coming on that time of year, but Harvey the Pooka always seemed like an awfully pleasant sort and appears to make everyone who meets him rather happy, so I suppose a would enjoy a quiet pint in a local pub with a six foot rabbit.
5) If aliens landed in your backyard, what is the first thing you would ask them?

It is things like this that got me to be a writer. You can't just answer that question with a "Where are you from, Jersey?" or "Take me for a ride around that little ex-planet, the one they named after Goofy's dog." As a kid I would daydream, or rather try to daydream, about stuff like aliens landing in the backyard and going off with them to have great adventures, only immediately I would think. What are the odds they know English? So I suppose the first question I would ask would be. "Can you understand the words coming out of my mouth?" Then I might inform them that parking is three dollars for the first hour, then ten cents a minute after that. And instruct them to be careful where they step as my son hasn't cleaned up after the dog for a couple days.
6) What quirky habit do you have that often gets you teased by your peers or family?

I'm a foot shaker. I drum on things. I can't sleep in front of a TV. I refuse to answer the house telephone and would prefer not to have one, but my wife insists. I prefer to walk instead of drive almost everywhere, not because of greenhouse gas, but because I hate traffic so much. In fact, I walk over a mile to grocery shop with a backpack. Fact is, no one teases me. Should I be concerned?
7) What did you want to be when you grew up?

Old. Still not quite there. Judging by my books, you can tell there's still a bit of kid left. But if you are referring to what occupation, then I wanted to be an illustrator and work at Disney Studios on animated movies. After realizing that was placing the bar a bit high, I settled for being a book cover illustrator. Oddly enough, I sort of backed into that one as I have been commissioned by my publisher to do my own book covers. I also tried to figure out how to make a living at being a Dungeon Master. I love the idea of creating a world and letting other people enter it and explore. I suppose I sort of did that one too.
8) If you could be reincarnated as an animal, what would you be and why?

This is getting eerie now, have you stowed away with us on our family trips? My wife has always chosen to be a river otter, the playful tikes that splash around all day and eat shellfish on their bellies. My son wants to be a fox—he's obsessed with foxes. I tend to be very cat-like, so I suppose I would choose a panther, cool and stealthy like Bagheera. Although one can't ignore the lure of being a hawk, after all they can fly.
9) If you were stranded on a desert island, which would you prefer for company, a book, a pet or good-looking native? Why?

You'd have to wonder about someone who would choose a book, or a pet, over another human. I would never describe myself as a "people" person—I'm a writer after all—we sit in self-imposed isolation most of the time. (The panther and hawk should have been a clue as both are mostly solitary animals.) Still, if I am going to spend months, years, or the rest of my life on a spit of sand, I'd rather not end up talking to a soccer ball named Wilson. And as well intentioned as a book might be, or as loyal as a dog is, neither can perform the Heimlich maneuver, or show you where the evening buffet and drinks bar is and what red berries to steer clear of.
10) Why in the world did you consent to doing this wacky interview? I mean there is not one question here about your books, your writing or your future plans!

All interviews are a little wacky from the perspective of the interviewee. I mean, why would anyone want to know about me to begin with? I don't do interviews to provide insight into my books, or keep fans up to date on my plans. I do them to answer questions that people have. It just so happens that most of those questions usually center on my books as that is what the interviewer is interested in. I'd discuss who's the better starship captain Kirk or Picard, the plight of the Kenya wildebeest, or whether it is wise to go all-in when all you have is ace high on the flop, if that's what people wanted to hear. Did I mention I make a great ice cream sundae? Alternate questions (in case you really hate one or 2 of the others)

11) Who is your favorite comedian or cartoon character and why?

Bugs Bunny, hands down. Why? That's like saying your favorite character on Happy Days was Fonzi and someone asking why.
12) How would you describe your sense of humor?

After twelve questions, I suppose the same way you do: smart-ass.


Thanks Micheal for consenting to do this interview!


Be sure to look for the next book in the series, Avempartha, which is due out in April of 2009. I know I am eagerly looking forward to it!

You can connect with Micheal Sullivan on his
Facebook Page

You can find more info on his books at Micheal Sullivan's website.

You can also read my review and find other useful links here: Crown Conspiracy


Not sure how often I'll be able to find an author willing to "play" and if you have any suggestions on an author you think might have some fun with this, please let me know and I'll try to run it past them.

Other Wacky Interviews





Mulluane is a 55-year-old proud grandmother of 4, who is passionate about her pets, blogging, traditional fantasy, and tinkering with webdesign. She is obssesively photo shy but she uses an avatar that accurately represents her dreams. ♥ You can also find her on:

Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Pinterest
Dragons, Heroes and Wizards

1 comment :

  1. Mulluane, that was a nice one. Thank you for your questions and thanks to Michael J. Sullivan for his amusing answers.

    I liked your review of THE CROWN CONSPIRACY in December 2008.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. Thanks for leaving your thoughts!

Love Fantasy? Enjoy Quotes? Book Reviews? Interviews? Lists?
Come Join In The Fun!
Please enter your email address to have our bats deliver great new content straight into your inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner
Thanks!