Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Reader Appreciation Interview - Loopdilou

Mulluane | Tuesday, February 24, 2009 | 6 Comments so far

The Bio!

Well, hello there world! I can't begin to express how much fun it is to talk about myself, because I'm the coolest. Which is why I'm first. Nyah. But I digress... 

My name is Jen and I'm a twitteraholic, and a blogaholic, a movieaholic, and a science fiction and fantasy junkie. I am also the mother of two super awesome/unique daughters, and the wife of a total smartass. I don't work because I decided to get a degree in Modern Literature and graduate right before the economy collapsed. Then I decided I didn't want to go to Graduate School to get any marketable skillz. 

Honestly, I'm work-phobic anyway so it's probably for the best. To keep myself occupied, I hang out on twitter, read, and help SMD (of The World in the Satin Bag) get through college. Sometimes I write so I can pretend that I'll be famous someday. I like stationery, rainy days, the color blue, and grilled cheese sammiches.

The Questions!


1.) What magical ability would you like to have and why?


I would genuinely like to have Mickey's spell book from The Magician's Apprentice so I could make my cleaning products do all the cleaning for me. I realize that's utterly boring, but I'm a sensible sort of person and genuinely despise my housewife duties. I relish all opportunities to be a slacker.
On the flipside, my whackadoodle power would be the ability to withstand immense pressure and breathe and see underwater. I want to be a character in Peter Watts's Starfish novels... minus the major psychological trauma. Oddly though, I'm actually terrified of the super depths because I think there are zombies down there.
2.) What would you do if you had a time machine?


I'd kill Hitler.

HAHA! Just kidding. That's a total rookie mistake, foshizzle. Honestly, there are so few scenarios that would actually work in time travel that I'm tempted to avoid all the them. I think I would go forward, not backwards. Maybe 30 years to check on what stocks are doing well. Then I'd go back and invest in whatever makes me richest. Again - any opportunity to be a total slacker.
3.) You are an archeologist and you discover something that no one has ever seen before. What do you think would be the coolest thing you could possibly discover and why?

Proof that we were seeded on this planet by alien overlords - like a ship with logs in it. It would just be fun to watch everyone scurry around in shock after that.
4.) If aliens landed in your backyard, what is the first thing you would ask them?

"When you leave, can I come?"
5.) Who (or what) is your favorite cartoon character and why?

Oh shnikies. Growing up I had the biggest crush on Justin from the Secret of Nimh. He is still one of my favorite characters of all time, and I have a total girl crush on Mrs. Brisby because of her quiet heroism. However, these days my favorite cartoon character is Mandy from the Grim Adventures of- she exemplifies everything that is wonderful in the world - restrained egoism, pure cynicism, and evil brilliance. If we ever get an evil overlord I want it to be her.
6.) If you could have lunch with a famous person, living or dead, who would it be and why?

I couldn't physically manage to have lunch with anyone that I either worship, respect, or just plain think is cool. My body and mental faculties would shut down completely. I'd just drool over whomever. Having said that - there is no one I'd rather drool all over than Hayao Miyazaki. I think he's absolutely brilliant and I envy his ability to tell a story - I honestly don't think anyone comes close. I'd make him take me on a tour of Studio Ghibli and it would be awesome.
7.) If you could be reincarnated as an animal (real or imaginary), what would you be and why?

I don't think I'd want to be an imaginary animal - there'd be all kinds of hunting down of me and that wouldn't be any fun. Unless of course that animal were a shapeshifter already... *considers* Let's go with a Nyad - they're sexy and get to go swimming a lot.
8.) You are stranded on a desert island, and only one thing washed up on shore with you what (or who) would you want that to be?

A GPS satellite phone - duh. I'm sorry, I hate fish and sunburn easily. I'm totally copping out of that situation.
9.) Alot of ancient cultures, like the Greeks and Romans, had a god for just about everything. What type of god could you envision yourself as and why?

I could totally be the god of procrastination. I would help those who have procrastinated sufficiently produce brilliant work - because we all know that the best work is done under immense pressure.
10.) If you could be a character in a fantasy or science fiction novel, what type would you be? (Wizard, assassin, warrior, spaceship captain, princess, etc...) and why?

Can I be a combination of all of the above? I think that'd be spiffy. Ok, honestly I'd love to be a Space Captain/Bad ass. One of my favorite characters of all time is Honor Harrington from the David Weber series. I think she's brilliant, strong, poised, courageous, gracious, and a total bad ass of course. Plus she gets to fly around in space! I've long dreamed of serving on a submarine and there is very little difference between sub environments and spaceship environments; it seems a natural choice!

The Blog plug!

I have two blogs and I contribue to one other. First off is Random Acts of Mediocrity (http://randomactsofmediocrity.blogspot.com)! I've recently resolved to post something new every day - it is sometimes a personal blog, but for the most part I concentrate on Steampunk and Stationery. I'm a casual observer of the former, and a collecter of the latter and I enjoy finding tidbits about both.

I just started my new blog - Against the Nothing (http://againstthenothing.blogspot.com), in order to have a valid excuse for reading all the fantasy books my daughters bring home from school. It is starting slow, but I really enjoy reviewing Children's/Middle Grade/YA fantasy. That 'genre' has always been my favorite and contributed a great deal to my development/interests over the years. Hopefully I'll start posting more - I'm a bit slow!

Finally, I contribute reviews to the Fantasy and Sci-Fi Lovin' Blog (http://sqt-fantasy-sci-fi-girl.blogspot.com/). I admit I'm not the best reviewer out there (by far), but I'm a very avid reader and I genuinely love every opportunity to read something new. It's a lot of fun and I'm greatly indebted to SQT and SMD for giving me the opportunity.

Thanks to Jen (alias Loopdilou) for sharing her answers with us!

Want to join in on the fun? Find out how here:Reader Appreciation Series



Mulluane is a 55-year-old proud grandmother of 4, who is passionate about her pets, blogging, traditional fantasy, and tinkering with webdesign. She is obssesively photo shy but she uses an avatar that accurately represents her dreams. ♥ You can also find her on:

Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Pinterest
Dragons, Heroes and Wizards

6 comments :

  1. I'm slightly bummed because my husband came up with a better answer for the archeological find - he'd want to find a modern weapon in a 5000 year old dig. 'Cause then you'd know SOMEONE was screwing with time but would have no idea who.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I really enjoyed reading your answers. If you were the God of Procrastination, I'd totally be one of your followers! Maybe even a priestess. I'm going to have to go check out your Against the Nothing blog. Somehow I missed that and it sounds right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!
    I'm impressed. Great answers. You set the bar high :>)

    My answers are in progress. I hope to finish within today.

    By the way I showed your ansers to my wife and she liked it too. And of course she is nosey what I will write. But that's a secret so far....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can totally be my high priestess, Sheila! And I hope you like Against the Nothing!

    Hehe.. Glad you enjoyed it, Edi! It was an absolute pleasure to do this and I hope the series is successful :) Can't wait to read your interview too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha I totally loved your interview Jen. You really had me laughing. I love the fact that you'd want Mickey's spellbook to do your cleaning. What a wonderful idea! I never would have thought of it becuase I too hate housework.

    I'm definitely going to be checking out your blogs (=

    ReplyDelete
  6. BEST SPELLBOOK EVER! :) Ok, so maybe Mickey couldn't handle all that awesomeness, but I'm confident that I'd be able to get into the rythym of having other people do my housework for me with noooo problems.

    I'm so glad Mulluane interviewed me and that everyone enjoyed it - I've been terrified I would somehow jinx her efforts.

    Hope you enjoy my blogs too, Mishel (and everyone else who might be even slightly tempted to head that way)!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. Thanks for leaving your thoughts!

Love Fantasy? Enjoy Quotes? Book Reviews? Interviews? Lists?
Come Join In The Fun!
Please enter your email address to have our bats deliver great new content straight into your inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner
Thanks!