Sunday, March 8, 2009

Interview - Peter V. Brett: The Warded Man

Mulluane | Sunday, March 08, 2009 | 7 Comments so far

(Wacky Interview Series)


In case you missed the first interview in this series, here is the deal...I read alot of author interviews and they are good, informative, and interesting but rarely tell me all that much about an author's personality. I often find myself thinking, "Well that's all good and everything but I want to know more about the real live person behind the book!"

So, I decided to conduct a "fun" interview; something that will give my readers a good laugh and be fun for the authors. You will not find serious questions covering books, publishing, writing or future plans. Instead you will get a chance to see how they react to a bunch of crazy questions and scenarios.

So this is how I set this up, I gave Peter V. Brett 10 wacky questions, plus 2 bonus substitutes in case he didn't like or want to answer one of the original 10, he answered all 12! So here for your reading pleasure is a look inside of the mind of Peter V. Brett...


Author Peter V. Brett
1) Which magical power would you like to have and why?

A lot of people would go with flashy things like flight, super-strength, or the ability to blow your enemies to bits from afar, but I’ve always been partial to Wolverine-style super-healing. Imagine never being sick or getting hurt. Plus, he doesn’t need to wear a condom, except for birth control. That’s gotta make you popular with the ladies.

That’s more mutant power than magic, though. I’m also partial to teleportation. I really like to BE new and exciting places, but man, do I ever hate airports and long drives. Feh.

2) What would you do if you had a time machine?

I lost my brother in a car crash a dozen years ago. I’ve made my peace with it, but I think if I had a time machine, I would stare at it a lot, pondering how much saving him would alter the time-space continuum. Eventually I would get drunk and say “Fuck it” and jump back to 1997. Who knows? Maybe his being alive would somehow have kept the housing market stable and stopped us from invading Iraq. Star Trek rules say the slightest change to the past can drastically alter the present, but looking at the news lately, how much worse could it get?

3) What was your funniest/most interesting encounter with a fan?

All my fans are on the other side of the world right now, because the book isn’t out here in the US yet. I’m apparently big in Poland. That’s pretty sweet. And I get lots of fan mail from Australia and South Africa. It’s bizarre to be popular on the other side of the planet and totally unknown in your home town.

4) If you had a chance to spend some time with one mythical being, what would it be and why?

I’ve got a list of questions for God, beginning with demanding an explanation for the platypus. I mean, really. What the heck was he thinking? That’s what I call lazy writing. Maybe Earth is just a first draft and he’s working on revisions.

5) If aliens landed in your backyard, what is the first thing you would ask them?

Probably if they would mind waiting a few minutes while I changed out of the pants they just made me piss.

6) What quirky habit do you have that often gets you teased by your peers or family?

Like many authors, I am obsessive about minutiae. I had a girlfriend who used to sneak into my closet and make half my hanging shirts face the opposite direction from the rest, because it amused her to see how long it would take me to notice and fix them.

Everyone used to tease me for being a nerd, too, but now that is chic. Thank you, Bill Gates and Peter Jackson!

7) What did you want to be when you grew up?

A fantasy author, believe it or not. It’s my high school yearbook quote. It took me almost 20 years since then to make it happen, but here we are.

8) If you could be reincarnated as an animal, what would you be and why?

I’ve always wanted to fly, so I might go with a hawk or eagle or some other badass bird of prey, but I’m not sure how I would do in an aerie with no cable TV or high speed internet. My cat has it pretty easy. Maybe that’s a better choice.

9.) My readers want to know what you had for breakfast. Not sure why exactly...

Ham, egg, and cheese on a toasted poppy bagel. Made it myself. Would have gone with sesame, but we were out of those. Still delicious.

10) Why in the world did you consent to doing this wacky interview? I mean there is not one question here about your books, your writing or your future plans!

It’s actually really nice. I’ve done a lot of interviews recently, and they all ask the same questions. I hate writing the same thing over and over, so I try hard to change it up every time, but that can get really tedious when you’re trying to write about your path to publication for the tenth time without cutting and pasting from a previous interview. This is much more fun!


Bonus Questions!


11) Who is your favorite comedian or cartoon character and why?

I’m a big fan of Jon Stewart’s Daily Show. Never miss an ep. I get really frustrated by the fluff and misinformation that passes for news these days, and Jon does an excellent job of letting the hot air out of the major networks.

Batman wins hands down as favorite cartoon character, because he is awesome.

12) How would you describe your sense of humor?

Deadpan sarcasm?


Thanks Peter for consenting to do this interview!


Be sure to look for Peter V. Brett's debut novel:
The Warded Man: Book One of The Demon CycleThe Warded Man: Book One of The Demon Cycle

Which is being released in the US on Tuesday, March 10, 2009!

You can find more info on the book at Peter's website: Peter V. Brett

You can also read my review and find other useful links here: The Warded Man


Other Wacky Interviews






Mulluane is a 55-year-old proud grandmother of 4, who is passionate about her pets, blogging, traditional fantasy, and tinkering with webdesign. She is obssesively photo shy but she uses an avatar that accurately represents her dreams. ♥ You can also find her on:

Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Pinterest
Dragons, Heroes and Wizards

7 comments :

  1. That was fun!

    Hopefully he wasn't talking about my interview when he said everyone always asks the same ol' questions....

    :p

    ~Aidan
    A Dribble of Ink

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deadpan sarcasm. Didn' know this expression before.
    Beside beeing funny this interview also had an educational touch :>)

    So thank you for questions (Mulluane) and thank you (Peter) for interesting answers.

    Humor? What is humor? About humor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ham, egg, and cheese on a bagel - BRILLIANT!

    Who thought of such a wonderful question?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did you nut...

    /bonks LoopdiLou on the noggin

    Remember now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Beams* Well, I know.. but now everybody else knows too! HAHA! My brilliant plot take over the interwebs has begun!

    And now I totally want a ham and cheese bagel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice interview. I plan to give his book in shot in the next week or so, finally!

    ReplyDelete
  7. His closet sounds like mine. Color-coded angers, each "type" of shirt in a distinct section, shoes all facing in the right direction...yes, I'm just like Monk.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. Thanks for leaving your thoughts!

Love Fantasy? Enjoy Quotes? Book Reviews? Interviews? Lists?
Come Join In The Fun!
Please enter your email address to have our bats deliver great new content straight into your inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner
Thanks!