Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Reader Appreciation Interview - Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

Mulluane | Tuesday, March 10, 2009 | 8 Comments so far
Anne
The Bio!

I'm a Hilo girl -- born and raised in Hilo, Hawaii, as were both of my parents. We still live here -- they're in retirement now, while I finished a Master's in Library and Information Science, and am now looking for a job as a librarian or library assistant.

I have a wide variety of hobbies I pursue haphazardly at best, but my main ones are reading (mostly science fiction, fantasy, social science, natural science, and folklore), fantasy role-playing (Advanced Dungeons and Dragons; I both play and take turns at leading), reading usenet newsgroups (mostly alt.books.m-lackey), and maybe music, both singing and playing recorders (fipple flutes or bloc flutes).

I often volunteer in libraries. It helps me feel useful and keep my skills up while I look for a job. I volunteered for years at the University of Hawai'i at Hilo's Mo'okini Library, and off and on for even longer at Lyman House Museum's library. I've also volunteered at Kea'au High School's library, which is run by a former classmate of mine from library school. I enjoyed working together on "real" library work, instead of just class projects.

I do have some handicaps. One or another may insist on interfering with my life, sometimes worse than others. I guess I'll let them run my life when they insist. However, I will NOT let them ruin it.
The Questions!

1.) What magical ability would you like to have and why?

{thoughtful look} Well, if I take "magical" out of the sentence, that's easy. The ability I miss so badly I can taste it some days is the ability to dance. I lost it to increasingly terrible vertigo (a bad sense of balance) in my 20's, and while the vertigo is much better than it was at its worst, I still can't dance. {pause}

However, the ability to dance is not a magical ability. Neither is the ability to tell up from down with more certainty than my sense of balance can manage. {pause} A magical ability that would get me what I want is the ability to heal medical conditions that have stumped modern science. So healing it is, as long as it works on myself as well as on others. {SMILE}
2.) What would you do if you had a time machine?

Go exploring. That's what I do when I have a chance to see something new. I'd hop backwards and forwards, getting a feel for what it's like to be in some places. I would try to pick relatively tame places where none of those adventures which are more fun to read about than live are likely to start, but I always love to poke around, and find out what's around that corner, or inside that building, or what those people over there are doing... {Smile}
3.) You are an archeologist and you discover something that no one has ever seen before. What do you think would be the coolest thing you could possibly discover and why?

I wonder if I should give Mulluane a chance for a do-over on this question. I majored in Anthropology for my bachelor's degree. That meant I had to take Intro to Archeology. That, in turn, meant I've been corrupted by real archeologists. {Smile}

My favorite large find is an impressively large library uncovered in... I think it was Herculaneum, tho it might have been in Pompeii, or another city destroyed in the same Vesuvius eruption. So discovering another large library for it's day would be great, particularly if includes some "lost texts" we barely know title and author of now. {Smile}

I've only heard of one find that got me more excited than that library. It was a particularly well-preserved piece of papyrus with a long text on it... that reportedly turned out to be a shopping list. {Pause} Do you realize how hard it is to find out what people typically ate? Or what they wore when they weren't dressing up? Or how they lived... what they'd need on a typical day in an average week when nothing especially fancy was going on? I'm not kidding. That's the incredible find. I'd trade a few lost Greek plays for a plain old shopping list. But then I've been corrupted by real archeologists. {REALLY BIG GRIN}
4.) If aliens landed in your backyard, what is the first thing you would ask them?

"Are you stuck?"

The dirt in our yard is pretty loose, so there's a good chance they'd sink in and get stuck. Goodness knows cars do that often enough when they try to park in the front. {lop-sided smile}

Tho I don't know how we'd help them get out again if they were stuck in the back yard. It's not as easy as calling a tow truck. {BIG GRIN}
5.) Who (or what) is your favorite cartoon character and why?

Maybe Skywise or Puck from Elfquest, or Disney's Daisy Duck if you want someone more widely recognizable. I'm not really sure. {Smile}
6.) If you could have lunch with a famous person, living or dead, who would it be and why?

Josepha Sherman, author and sometime editor. Not because she's famous, but because she's the very first friend I made over the net, and we've never quite fallen out of touch since. I haven't had a chance to meet her face-to-face in the 13? years we've corresponded, so that would be pretty special. {SMILE}

If it has to be someone I don't know, I'd choose someone who could speak intelligently on a wide range of subjects, like Carl Sagan or Leonardo DaVinci. However, I'd consider either a poor substitute for finally getting to meet Josepha. {SMILE}
7.) If you could be reincarnated as an animal (real or imaginary), what would you be and why?

I'd choose a kitty cat. I'm quite an ailurophile. {SMILE}
8.) You are stranded on a desert island, and only one thing washed up on shore with you what (or who) would you want that to be?

A shortwave radio should do the trick. Not only could I call for help with it, but I could chat with a friend in Florida who's into those while I waited for rescue. {SMILE}
9.) A lot of ancient cultures, like the Greeks and Romans, had a god for just about everything. What type of god could you envision yourself as and why?

I am not goddess material. I'm not even leader material. So me as a goddess of anything is one thing my imagination really isn't up to picturing. {Smile}
10.) If you could be a character in a fantasy or science fiction novel, what type would you be? (Wizard, assassin, warrior, spaceship captain, princess, etc...) and why?

I think I'd enjoy being an archivist in one of those libraries the heroes look up forgotten information in once in a while. I've always enjoyed library work, and I'd never run out of reading material! {REALLY BIG GRIN}

The Blog Plug!

Well, on Blogger I'm here, and at LiveJournal I'm here. Both are largely personal blogs I use more to keep in touch with friends than anything else. However, the blogger isn't private, and the LiveJournal is often not, either. {Smile}

Thanks to Anne Elizabeth for sharing her answers with us!



Want to join in on the fun? Find out how here: Reader Appreciation Series



Mulluane is a 55-year-old proud grandmother of 4, who is passionate about her pets, blogging, traditional fantasy, and tinkering with webdesign. She is obssesively photo shy but she uses an avatar that accurately represents her dreams. ♥ You can also find her on:

Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Pinterest
Dragons, Heroes and Wizards

8 comments :

  1. Oops. I see i was slightly scatter-brained at the end. My blog is at http://aeb-anne.blogspot.com/ and my LiveJournal at http://aeb.livejournal.com/ (just in case anyone's curious). {smile}

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne Elizabeth,
    thank you for your answers.

    To be honest I can't dance neither.
    A long time ago I attended some dance lessons together with my wife.
    She soon gave up. Her comment: "You move like a log of wood!!!"

    So the world is divided in dancers and logs :>)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely interview, Anne! You sound so much like me it's scary! Except I hate (formal) dancing, perhaps because I take it for granted.

    Seriously though, SKYWISE! Squeee!! I have lots and lots of the Elfquest comics and still love reading them now and again. Wow! Now I really want to catch up on Elfquest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Then I guess I've become a log, ediFanoB. {Amused Smile} Thanks. That does make it easier. {SMILE}

    That's neat, LoopdiLou. I agree: Skywise is great! {REALLY BIG GRIN}

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delightful interview Anne. Thanks for sharing yourself with us. Say hello to everyone at Ken's Pancake House for me. Oh, how I miss their crab cakes. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Frances. {SMILE}

    You know Ken's? {Surprised Smile} Yes, I'll say hi next time I go there. {SMILE}

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne, you are hilarious! I enjoyed your responses and now I want to do this interview for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I hope you do this interview, Tia. It was fun. Besides, I'm curious. {REALLY BIG GRIN}

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. Thanks for leaving your thoughts!

Love Fantasy? Enjoy Quotes? Book Reviews? Interviews? Lists?
Come Join In The Fun!
Please enter your email address to have our bats deliver great new content straight into your inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner
Thanks!