Friday, May 22, 2009

Interview - Tim Byrd - author of Doc Wilde and the Frogs of Doom

Mulluane | Friday, May 22, 2009 | 4 Comments so far

(Wacky Interview Series)


In case you missed the first interviews in this series, here is the deal...I read alot of author interviews and they are good, informative, and interesting but rarely tell me all that much about an author's personality. I often find myself thinking, "Well that's all good and everything but I want to know more about the real live person behind the book!"

So, I decided to conduct a "fun" interview; something that will give my readers a good laugh and be fun for the authors. You will not find serious questions covering books, publishing, writing or future plans. Instead you will get a chance to see how they react to a bunch of crazy questions and scenarios.

This time, I got a volunteer! That is right, some poor sap the exceptionally wonderful author of Doc Wilde and the Frogs of Doom actually ASKED if he could do this. So, snickering manically, I sent him 10 wacky questions, plus 2 bonus substitutes in case he didn't like or want to answer one of the original 10, and he answered all 12! So here for your reading pleasure is a look inside of the mind of Tim Byrd...


Author Tim Byrd
1) Which magical power would you like to have and why?

Oh, that’s easy. Shapeshifting, so I could become any animal I chose, and communicate with the other animals. No more hefting a 50 lb. backpack to go explore the deep wilderness, I could instead lope on wolf paws. No more bulky SCUBA gear to see the wonders of the depths, I could instead zoom down with the fins of a dolphin. No more waiting to go through ridiculous security measures at the airport to touch the sky, instead I could soar on the wings of a hawk.

I would of course maintain my personality and intelligence in all forms, and in human form would possess the best pheromones ever, making me movie-star desirable to all women.
2) What would you do if you had a time machine?

My mother was killed in a car wreck on Christmas Eve when I was only a year and a half old. I’d go back and save her. Whatever changes that caused, whatever havoc it might wreak with spacetime, that’d be fine. I’d grow up with my mom.
3) What was your funniest/most interesting encounter with a fan?

Well, I haven’t had many yet, so that’s easy. My first reading was at a local elementary school (4th and 5th graders). One boy wanted me to sign his book to “Cheez-it.”

There was a mom helping me out, and she kept asking him “Are you sure you want that? Are you sure that’s going to be okay with your mother?” He insisted it was fine, that it was his nickname.

As I signed, this girl who was also waiting with her book looked him right in the eye and said flatly, “You are so going to regret doing this in a few years.”
4) If you had a chance to spend some time with one mythical being, what would it be and why?

Angelina Jolie. And the whole world knows why.

Oh, okay. A real mythical being, oxymoronic as that sounds...

I’m tempted to say Aphrodite, but that’s really the same as saying Angelina Jolie, I think. So I’m going to have to say Calliope, the muse of epic poetry. The more time I spend with her, especially actually with her, the happier I’ll be and the more writing I’ll get done. She did a great job with Homer, after all.
5) If aliens landed in your backyard, what is the first thing you would ask them?

“¿Habla Ingl├ęs?” Then I’d ask if they had green cards, and if not, tell them they’d better hide quick before Lou Dobbs sees them.
6) What quirky habit do you have that often gets you teased by your peers or family?

Well, being a writer, and not having to report anywhere to do my job, I am routinely derelict about shaving. So I maintain varying levels of scruffiness, sometimes all the way up to what many call a beard, but I deny that, telling them it’s not, it’s just a really deep five o’clock shadow. I don’t like beards. They itch and they’re soup magnets.
7) What did you want to be when you grew up?

A writer. Always. There was usually an additional career thrown in (zoologist, archaeologist, astrophysicist, ninja...), but writing was always the primary. The only secondary one I actually accomplished was ninja.
8) If you could be reincarnated as an animal, what would you be and why?

A wolf. They’re soulful, intelligent creatures with deep, loyal relationships. That’s important to me in this life, so I’d like to think I’ll have a chance at it in the next.
9.) My readers want to know what you had for breakfast. Not sure why exactly...

Funny you’d ask that. I moved into my current home a year ago, and never got around to getting a toaster. Until last night. So this morning was my new toaster’s exciting first time, and I had toast and eggs. And coffee. Way too much coffee.
10) Why in the world did you consent to doing this wacky interview? I mean there is not one question here about your books, your writing or your future plans!

I’m not quite sure. I think I took a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

It’s nice though. Takes a bit more brain power than the usual questions we authors get

Bonus Questions!


11) Who is your favorite comedian or cartoon character and why?

Bugs Bunny. I love tricksters, in myth, in fiction, and especially in cartoons, and Bugs is the greatest trickster of all time. (Hopefully Coyote didn’t hear me say that).
12) How would you describe your sense of humor?

Whimsical but edgy. I have a big heart, but my sword is very sharp.


Thanks Tim for volunteering to do this interview!



Be sure to look for Tim Byrd's new novel:

Doc Wilde and The Frogs of Doom

Which was released on May 14th, 2009!


You can find more info on the book at Tim's website:Tim Byrd

You can also read my review and find other useful links here:
Doc Wilde and the Frogs of Doom by Tim Byrd (Review)


Other Wacky Interviews






Mulluane is a 55-year-old proud grandmother of 4, who is passionate about her pets, blogging, traditional fantasy, and tinkering with webdesign. She is obssesively photo shy but she uses an avatar that accurately represents her dreams. ♥ You can also find her on:

Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Pinterest
Dragons, Heroes and Wizards

4 comments :

  1. I think you should get more volunteers because the wacky interviews are funny and inspiring for all - readers, interviewer, person to be interviewed.

    Congratulations Tim Byrd for volunteering!
    And Tim you are not alone with this shaving issue..... :>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! That's so sad about his mom.

    Personally, I think he looks like Doc Wilde.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shhh. I'm Doc Wilde when I take my glasses off.

    Best,

    Tim
    www.DocWilde.com

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. Thanks for leaving your thoughts!

Love Fantasy? Enjoy Quotes? Book Reviews? Interviews? Lists?
Come Join In The Fun!
Please enter your email address to have our bats deliver great new content straight into your inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner
Thanks!