Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Tuesday This or That? (#1)

Mulluane | Tuesday, August 06, 2013 | 3 Comments so far

My first edition of this feature you can blame on 2 things. Pinterest and Amazon, in that order.

The time wasting beauty of Pinterest has given me a whole new love and appreciation for, of all things, book covers. But, at the same time, it has shown me that not all covers are the same. There are HQ covers, often found on publisher's websites. There are old covers and newly designed covers. There are also different covers for different regions of the planet. I have also discovered an intense dislike for the fuzzy, out of focus covers provided by Amazon that I have unfortunately been using for years. Trust me. Now that I know better, I won't be using those anymore.

But, beauty is often in the eye of the beholder so I am going to give you 2 examples of a cover for the same book. One from the US and the other from Australia. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, will be to cast your vote (and if you so desire, leave a comment with your thoughts) on which cover you like best.

So without further ado....


Which cover art do you like better?

The Pool of Two Moons by Kate Forsyth - The Pool of Two Moons by Kate Forsyth

~~~ Vote Here! ~~~



Notes: Depending on the device you are viewing this with, pictures may be stacked. So to clarify: #1 will either be on top or to the left. #2 will be on the bottom or to the right. 

Also, this is my first attempt to add a poll directly to a post. I am not sure how well it will work in feed readers. You may need to visit blog to view or vote.


Additional Fun Facts for Art Lovers: 


Book Cover #1 was done by Daniel R. Horne who doesn't do book covers anymore but specializes in Monster art.

You can read an interview with Mr. Horne here: Art of the Genre: Inteview with Daniel RHorne - Black Gate

Book cover art #2 was done by Spike Wademan. Mr. Wademan also has a gallery of his work here: Artist Insite 

So there it is folks. Don't forget to vote, and/or comment! Inquiring minds wanna know...




Mulluane is a 55-year-old proud grandmother of 4, who is passionate about her pets, blogging, traditional fantasy, and tinkering with webdesign. She is obssesively photo shy but she uses an avatar that accurately represents her dreams. ♥ You can also find her on:

Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Pinterest
Dragons, Heroes and Wizards

3 comments :

  1. {tilt head thoughtfully} I don't know quite how to vote... my reaction is a little more complex than the poll.

    At this size, I like the cover with the yellow frame. I think that's the Australian cover? {Smile}

    However, I think that can only shrink so much before the yellow frame and mini-picture start making it harder to figure out what's being shown. At that point, the unframed cover should look better simply because the main picture is easier to see. How big the cover needs to be, unfortunately, depends on the individual viewer, at least in part. {Smile}

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Anne, this is why I always appreciate your comments. You tend to bring a new perspective to things.

    Personally, I love the Australian cover. I adore the fretwork. Especially since the series itself has definite Celtic influences.

    My problem is, I think it is almost too pretty to read. I'd want to showcase all 6 books somewhere instead. (all 6 are similar) and buy the US ones for reading (I am hard on spines.)

    As far as size goes, I had not given that much thought. Image is smaller than what I'd see in a bookstore but larger than I'd view on say, an Amazon page on my computer screen. But I do see your point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom is having more trouble with her eyes these days, so I'm particularly aware of what things look like as they get smaller and/or fuzzier.

    Yes, I love that Celtic knot-work in the border in the Australian copy, myself. I rarely get reading copies - shelf space is tight enough, we really need to limit duplicates to our favorites - but in this case, it would be tempting. {Smile}

    In the bookstore, the Australian copy is big enough, I think the added details make it prettier. On Amazon or Goodreads, the American copy would probably look better in their thumbnails. The larger pictures in the records about individual books is enough bigger for me to appreciate the details more. It helps that I have a fairly large screen with pretty good resolution, but I think that would be true for folks with at least some less of both. {Smile}

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. Thanks for leaving your thoughts!

Love Fantasy? Enjoy Quotes? Book Reviews? Interviews? Lists?
Come Join In The Fun!
Please enter your email address to have our bats deliver great new content straight into your inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner
Thanks!