Friday, November 29, 2013

Blog Love Roundup 11/29/2013

Mulluane | Friday, November 29, 2013 | 6 Comments so far

Blog Love Roundup 11/29/2013

Hello, it is me again. This week, having far too much curiosity and way too much time on my hands, I have been experimenting again. 

(Note: Following format works best in Chrome, a bit slower in FF, and not so good in IE. Reloading page normally fixes any problems.)




The Experiment. I noticed that every major social media platform has added or is adding the ability to embed their content in a post, Google Plus being the latest to jump aboard. But why would you do that? Most people do it the other way around. You pin, tweet, share blog posts TO social media so why would you need to post about a post?

Well, I did my homework and discovered one way of using embedded content that appealed to me. Blog Roundups! Back in the day, I used to do alot of these but they consisted of simple hyperlinks to content I stumbled on during the week. Kinda boring but the only option available at the time.

After testing Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest I settled on Facebook combined with Pinterest. Twitter embed was kind of short and boring. Pinterest embed was big, beautiful, loaded fast and showed full description, but didn't allow you to do anything but repin. Facebook on the other hand, is much slower to load. However, it lets you do all sorts of interesting things.

Basically when I pin a review I share it to FB and Twitter. For the purposes of this post I've taken the FB pin share and embedded it. Now this gives you a whole range of options.

You can like, share, or comment on the Facebook post, directly from within this blog post, all without going anywhere.

You can also (and hopefully will) click through to the pin itself. Once there you can read the full description, click through to the original blog post, check to see how many times it has been repinned, then like, repin, comment or share the pin itself. And if you don't want to play along, I included direct links under each embed.

But more on how this all works after the show....




Direct Link: Fantasy Review: ‘Alphabet of Thorn’ by Patricia A. McKillip



Direct Link: Review: Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson



Direct Link: Barrayar ~Lois McMaster Bujold



Direct Link: Review – Avalon



Direct Link: Link-up Your Sci-fi and Fantasy Reviews and Giveaways!


Pretty cool huh! So much more interesting than a list of links! 

But Mulluane that last one wasn't a review! That is because I want you to wander on over to On Starships and Dragonwings, find her latest Friday Linkup and link your most recent reviews. Each week I'll pick one review from five different blogs to feature in my Weekly Roundup here. (Double exposure! Triple if you count the pins themselves.)

Note: If I get helpful feedback on how harsh the load time is, I may increase or decrease the number of embeds accordingly. I'm on dialup so all load times are horrible for me... Also, if all 5 don't load, reloading the page usually fixes that. Atleast it did for me but I figure it was a problem on my end anyway.

Now, where were we. Oh yeah! Anya's new feature. Blogs new to her Friday Linkup and previously unlinked here will get precedence (idea being to let people discover new blogs to follow) and any other choices I make will be random and may include reviews from folks I personally follow. Of course you can always check her list or scan my FB page to see any I didn't include here.

All I ask in return is that you spread the word about Anya's Friday Linkups. The more blogger/reviewers we get on board with this, the bigger the signal boost and the more we all benefit.

So, what ya think? Good idea? Bad idea? Don't care? I have finally lost my mind? Was the loading time horrible? Just right? Can I add more than five? Less? Are you just here because you heard there were cookies?  Hey Mulluane! How about you forget Pinterest, stop making us click so much and just share to FB from our blogs! Geez the woman is obsessed with pins. Silly old bat...

Leave a comment and let me know! 

(Guess I better start baking some cookies...)

Dragon Bar




Mulluane is a 55-year-old proud grandmother of 4, who is passionate about her pets, blogging, traditional fantasy, and tinkering with webdesign. She is obssesively photo shy but she uses an avatar that accurately represents her dreams. ♥ You can also find her on:

Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Pinterest
Dragons, Heroes and Wizards

6 comments :

  1. What an interesting post...I am impressed since I have problems even getting links to work occasionally, lol. I am also one of those weird people who doesn't use FB or Twitter so naturally most of this would be irrelevant to me but I am sure that this will be very useful to those who do participate in those forms of social media.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Load time was fine on my end, Firefox on basic cable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. E.L.F ~ Thanks so much for the feedback!

    The thought behind my madness was that even if you don't use social media, the "embeds" would provide much more useful information than a bare bones link. Inducing you, in theory, to click the direct link if nothing else. Or so I hope.

    Nathan ~ Awesome! I was really hoping it would work but I had trouble on a slow connection and I've had one unsuccessful load reported. I may reduce it to three embeds but do 2 posts a week. We will see :>)

    Thanks so much for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It loaded fairly nicely in DSL, too. At least by DSL standards, which are what I'm used to these days. {Smile}

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is encouraging! If I ever get my bills caught up I'm going to try to get DSL. My phone guy (who has to come out here way more than he likes) thinks I may be able to get it, depending on how loaded the system is.

    Key word is may....

    I had to load it into cache 3-4 times before I got a clean load, 5-6 in FF and I lost count in IE. If DSL loads it first try, or even second; I would be ecstatic :>)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Then you'll love DSL. Two tries mainly happens when the network is busy. More than that is pretty rare. {SMILE}

    We were relatively late to adopt DSL, ourselves. I was pleasantly surprised at how much better everything worked over it. {Smile}

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. Thanks for leaving your thoughts!

Love Fantasy? Enjoy Quotes? Book Reviews? Interviews? Lists?
Come Join In The Fun!
Please enter your email address to have our bats deliver great new content straight into your inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner
Thanks!