Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Join My 2014 Reading Challenge

Mulluane | Tuesday, January 14, 2014 | 9 Comments so far
It should come as no shock to anybody who reads this that I think Pinterest is the best thing since the printed word.

I've done posts on using Pinterest, I tweet my pins, I pin other blogs' stuff in addition to my own, I make permanent boards to serve as fixtures on this blog.


Yes folks, the first step is admitting that you have a problem. I am a true Pinterest addict.


Good thing is I am not alone. Pinterest is quickly rocketing to the top of the social media ranks,
 last time I checked ranking third in referring traffic.

So maybe I am not so far off base in my belief that it is a venue worth utilizing to its fullest extent.



♦ With that in mind I got the brilliant idea (if I do say so myself) of using Pinterest as a way to keep track of my reading progress for this year. Yeah, I can, and will use Goodreads but pinning beautiful book covers is alot of fun. More fun IMO than just posting non-visual reviews to GR.


♦ But... I don't really want to have fun all by myself so I made it a group board! I invited a bunch of people, 3 accepted, but there is a challenge to doing group invites. I can only invite people who follow me. I follow all kinds of book bloggers but very few are following me back so I can't ask them to join.


♦ This is where you dear reader come into the picture. If you use Pinterest, and this sounds like a good idea (there is already a lively conversation going on the board), just follow me on Pinterest and leave me a comment here, on Twitter, on Facebook or on the Board, and I'll send you an invite. Even better, once you are a member of the board, you will have full invite rights! You can then invite anyone you want, then they can invite anybody they want, then everybody can check out all the reviews, counts, discussions and book cover love. Don't have a Pinterest account yet? Well read on to see why you should.



If you are not sure why this is such a great idea, but want to know more, please read on. And don't take my word for it, check out the linked articles too!



♦ So you ask, what is in it for me? I mean Mulluane, I'm already busy enough reading, reviewing, writing posts, cross posting, blog hopping, commenting, running giveaways and all of the other hours of work I do each day to promote my blog! I just don't have the time. Well believe it or not, Pinterest group boards are an awesome way to promote your sites. Here is an article explaining how and why (just substitute animals for books)


♦ Here are some more fun facts for you. The beauty of Pinterest, aside from its eye-catching appeal, is the longevity of your pins. Lets compare Pins to Tweets for example. Tweets last a day, maybe two if they are popular, then after 10 days, pretty much drop off the radar. According to this article, Pins continue to drive traffic for months!


♦ I conducted my own experiment. Lets say I am looking for a new Epic fantasy book to read. On Pinterest I put Epic Fantasy into the search bar.


As if by magic I get literally hundreds of beautiful book covers with links to their matching posts in an endlessly scrolling page. I can then scroll that page without ever reading a word until I see a cover that speaks to me. Then I stop and check it out. Using hashtag #EpicFantasy did even better. I even saw some of my own pins from months ago showing up near the top. It was like walking into a bookstore.


Now I put that same search into Twitter. I got a single page, going back to Jan 4, and I had to read every single one, most of which were unrelated and lets face it, not very helpful. #EpicFantasy did a tad better but still only 10 days worth showed up in my search.


♦ See the potential? And you really don't have to put any time into it at all if you don't want toIt isn't hard to put pin buttons on your site or to install a pin-it addon to your browser, or you can even use whatever sharing tool you currently use for sharing posts. After you write your post, share it to Pinterest just like you would to FB and Twitter.


One tip though, your source image needs to be 250px wide and taller than it is wide in order to pin well. (Which is why book covers work so well.) Note I said source image. Size of pin in the post is irrelevant. The original, the one you get by rightclicking the image and opening in a new tab, needs to be at least 250px wide but can be as tall as you want.


So what are you waiting for! Come join in the fun!







Mulluane is a 55-year-old proud grandmother of 4, who is passionate about her pets, blogging, traditional fantasy, and tinkering with webdesign. She is obssesively photo shy but she uses an avatar that accurately represents her dreams. ♥ You can also find her on:

Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Pinterest
Dragons, Heroes and Wizards

9 comments :

  1. I added my first book to your board today, but you already noticed that. {wink, GRIN}

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Nothing escapes the notice of an old bat.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. {chuckle} Not when you're watching. {wink, Smile}

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there! I just discovered your blog (what a treasure trove!) and decided to follow your advice about Pinterest - hopefully I did things right...
    It's going to be a fun reading journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely way to put it! Invite sent. I look forward to seeing what you are reading this year :>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite! Now all I have to do is try and understand how to use Pinterest...
      If I don't get distracted by the huge bounty of titles I've already seen, that is! :-)

      Delete
    2. If the articles I wrote (linked above in second paragraph) don't help, look at my Pinterest boards.

      You will find one labeled "Pinterest Dos and Don'ts.

      Scan through the pins there or you can start here: "For Beginners" http://www.pinterest.com/pin/336644140867425187/

      Click either the image itself or the button that says "Website" in the upper left and you will be redirected to the original post. (Note: when opening from inside the board, click once to enlarge the pin. then again for redirect.)

      Some of those pins are infographics you don't even need a redirect. Info is all on the image.

      And I'm always available for questions! If you get stuck, just ask. I'll do my best to help :>)

      Delete
    3. Thank you!! The information is priceless, and I'm slowly getting the hang of it.
      And it's FUN! :-)

      Delete
    4. LOL, Pinterest should come with a "Possibility of Addiction" warning.

      It takes awhile. Results are far from immediate but Pinterest is now driving more blog traffic for me than Twitter and Facebook combined.

      Delete

I LOVE comments. Thanks for leaving your thoughts!

Love Fantasy? Enjoy Quotes? Book Reviews? Interviews? Lists?
Come Join In The Fun!
Please enter your email address to have our bats deliver great new content straight into your inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner
Thanks!