Monday, February 17, 2014

New Feature ~ Indie Spotlights

Mulluane | Monday, February 17, 2014 | 8 Comments so far


New Feature! Spotlights and Interviews for Independent Authors of Traditional Fantasy,

Lately I have been getting a fair amount of requests to review books from POD, Small Press and independent authors.

Unfortunately it has always been my policy to only review books that were published by companies on SFWA's approved publisher list.

Granted, there have been rare exceptions. Actually I can only think of two and in both cases I accepted because I was provided with an entire series and the reviews I had seen were very positive. (I'm also a big old softy.)


The reality is that I already have the normal huge TBR pile that is the bane of every book review blogger. I just don't have the time to read self-published books too.

But....

What I can do is a promotion post and maybe an interview. These posts will not be an endorsement of the book (since I have no intention of reading it.) They will simply be a "Hey look! Check this out!" type thing.

This way I can occasionally say yes instead of feeling horrible for always saying no and all without tying up my reading schedule. Win/Win!

So, if you are an independent author, write traditional fantasy (follow link or see my definition in the comments) and want to request a shoutout post and/or Wacky Interview, shoot me a message. Just go to the bottom of my about page and pick whatever method you are comfortable using. Or you can use the contact form on DHW. 

As always, I reserve the right to refuse or ignore any requests I decide do not qualify for whatever reason. 

I have no idea at this point how often this feature will appear. Will totally depend on how often I get requests that qualify, but irregardless I will only do one spotlight and one interview per week.

So, thoughts anyone? Good idea? Bad idea? Comments as always are welcome!







Mulluane is a 55-year-old proud grandmother of 4, who is passionate about her pets, blogging, traditional fantasy, and tinkering with webdesign. She is obssesively photo shy but she uses an avatar that accurately represents her dreams. ♥ You can also find her on:

Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Pinterest
Dragons, Heroes and Wizards

8 comments :

  1. That sounds like a good compromise to me. {Smile}

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. You might want to define "traditional fantasy" to avoid confusion over what counts and what doesn't. {Smile}

    A.E.B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. The definition of any of the Fantasy genres and subgenres is hotly debated and the definitions I've found vary.

      Basically my definition is secondary world (always), with magical elements (almost always), and struggles involving good vrs evil. (personal or global) This includes Epic Fantasy, Heroic Fantasy, Sword and Sorcery, High Fantasy, and Fairytale retellings so long as the setting is secondary world.

      Alternate history often straddles the line but as long as the writer has made that history uniquely their own, I still consider it a secondary world. Steampunk is another gray area. Some refer to it as Sci-fi, some alternate history. I personally consider "traditional fantasy" as pre-industrial revolution but some I'm sure would disagree.

      Excluded is cross-over fantasy (alternate worlds parallel to our own), Urban fantasy, Contemporary, Dystopian, Paranormal. and Science Fiction.

      Delete
    2. That sounds like a reasonable definition for "traditional fantasy." Thanks for explaining what you meant. {Smile}

      Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

      Delete
  3. Stick to your guns. I am very appreciative you made an exception, but I read Indie books and have become disillusioned recently. I've only been downloading books with 20 or more good reviews and some have even had several hundred reviews. There are some real gems, but the huge number of books makes it very hard to find these. I've recently given up and gone back to traditional published books. Some of these can be poor, but at least I believe the reviews. It's a sad indictment I'm afraid
    and I'm probably doing myself no favours saying this. Well done to you for drawing a line and many thanks for crossing it, briefly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet the worst line I've read in a book was in one published by a publisher which I have to assume used an editor. I know 1960's Harlequins didn't have the greatest editing standards, but "He realized he didn't have a leg to stand on, so he went off with his tail between his legs." stood out even there. Especially since the characters responded like that actually made sense! {look UP, GRIN}

      Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

      Delete
  4. I gave up when I read this line recently "XXX put on his very best menacing face and stared a hole through the man in front of him." That book had over 40 reviews, and mostly good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sympathize, but I've read worse. {wink, Smile}

      Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

      Delete

I LOVE comments. Thanks for leaving your thoughts!

Love Fantasy? Enjoy Quotes? Book Reviews? Interviews? Lists?
Come Join In The Fun!
Please enter your email address to have our bats deliver great new content straight into your inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner
Thanks!