Friday, March 7, 2014

Fun Friday 8 ~ Time To Stretch Your Imaginations!

Mulluane | Friday, March 07, 2014 | 4 Comments so far
Well, it is Friday again and I wasn't as productive this week. Mainly because I didn't have any Indie posts to do. I did do a Magic Book Bag post. That took awhile to put together. I pinned a slew of new March SFF releases to their respective YA and Adult Pinterest boards. I put up the series summary post for The Worlds of Riverside. And of course I did some reading.

This week I'm going to switch things up a bit. Again the question can be answered in several ways depending on your mood and personality.
American Indian Clipart
One thing that has always fascinated me is the Native American's belief in spirit animals as totems, guides and/or guardians. The methods used to determine one's totem vary from tribe to tribe and I am certainly not going to ask you to go on a vision quest or anything. However I think it would be fun to see what you would choose as your spirit guide, if you had a choice. 

So after some searching I found the following list in the public domain with all kinds of totem animals and their characteristics.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find the one that either closely matches your personality or one whose qualities you'd like to possess. Or both. Or you can pick several. Plus you can even explain why or just leave the reason to our imaginations. It is a long list so just come back to it when you have time. We'll wait...

So this week's question is...


Using the included list, what is your favorite spirit animal(s) and why? 


In case the embedded document doesn't work (and this sort of thing rarely does in some feed readers, email and sometimes even in mobile) here is a direct link: Totem Pole Animals and Their Meanings

Totem Pole Animals and Their Meanings



♥ My Answers ♥

1.) Closest match:

♦ Octopus = Intelligence, camouflage, nocturnal ♦

I was born under a water sign. I sleep mainly during the day. I'm good at fading into the background and I like to think I'm intelligent...

2.) What I'd like to have as a guide:

♦ Seahorse = Confidence and grace ♦

I pretty much lack both of those.

3.) Most fun to have as my guardian:

♦ Otter = Playful, friendly, dynamic, joy, helpfulness, and sharing ♦

Got to be one of my favorite animals and I love watching them play. Think of the fun I could have with this playful little creature watching over me!

So now it is your turn. Pick one or as many as you want and leave us a comment. This should be alot of fun if we can get some of you to come play along!

Don't like this question? Look here "Fun Fridays" and see if there is one you do like! Comments are always welcome, even on older posts.




Mulluane is a 55-year-old proud grandmother of 4, who is passionate about her pets, blogging, traditional fantasy, and tinkering with webdesign. She is obssesively photo shy but she uses an avatar that accurately represents her dreams. ♥ You can also find her on:

Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Pinterest
Dragons, Heroes and Wizards

4 comments :

  1. I do want to read that list, but I have an answer that doesn't depend on it. So I thought I'd share that first. {Smile, wink}

    First, if affinity and affection had anything to do with which animal guardian I ended up with, I'd have the cat. No question, the cat has been the animal I love, admire, and understand more than any other. Any feline catches my interest, but the domestic house cat is my favorite of all. {Smile}

    However, I've never heard of a guardian animal choosing someone just because they liked that sort of animal. {Smile}

    If you look back into Baldwin history and lore, my family has been associated with the squirrel for centuries. There's a squirrel perched on top of the Baldwin coat of arms... There's always two springs of green above a chevron, and there's always a squirrel perched on top of the crest. However, sometimes the squirrel is holding a sprig of green, while there is an acorn below the chevron. At other times, the squirrel is holding the acorn, and a sprig of green is below the chevron. I've also seen one with the squirrel holding a sprig of green, and another sprig of green below the chevron. Knowing squirrels and acorns, my whimsical side insists on interpreting this as before, during, and after lunch for a very busy little squirrel. {Chuckle, SMILE}

    Lastly, the ancient Hawaiians had their own tradition of guardian spirits, called the aumakua. Unlike totems, aumakua adopt whole families at a time, including those born later... and I think Dad's been adopted by the pig. Which means I'm being watched over by a pig, too. (No, we aren't Hawaiian. We have a lot of western European and a smidgeon of Native American, and as far as I know, that's it. However, I also know not to argue with a pig, especially an ancestral guardian pig. If one of those decides to adopt a Caucasian family, then they're adopted, no matter what any mere humans may feel about the situation. {AMUSED SMILE})

    Cat: Guardianship, detachment, sensuality, mystery, magic, and independence.

    Squirrel: Planner and gatherer.

    Boar/Pig: A very powerful totem: prosperity, spiritual strength, organized, self-reliant, fearless.

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Pigs are also highly intelligent though having raised them, I can't say I've seen any evidence of this.

      Great answers!

      Thanks :>)

      Delete
  2. I feel kinship with bot the armadillo (grounded and safety-oriented) and the dolphin (because of playfulness and deep emotions).
    ArmaDolphin? :-)

    Lovely exercise of the imagination! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Armadophin? Isn't that the stuff I use to make my truck all shiny? No wait... that is Armor-All, Oops!

      My family would think it was hilarious that I picked an octopus. I'm always saying how I wish I had more hands. I didn't even think of that until today. Funny how that worked out, LOL!

      Thanks for stopping by and playing along. Every comment simply makes my day {smiles broadly}

      Delete

I LOVE comments. Thanks for leaving your thoughts!

Love Fantasy? Enjoy Quotes? Book Reviews? Interviews? Lists?
Come Join In The Fun!
Please enter your email address to have our bats deliver great new content straight into your inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner
Thanks!