Friday, April 11, 2014

Fun Friday 13 ~ What Type Of Fantasy Character/Race Would You like to Be?

Mulluane | Friday, April 11, 2014 | 11 Comments so far
TGIF! 

I didn't do too bad this week.



But enough about all that.

I know that this is a mere variation on previous themes but my Muse was tired this week and I couldn't wake her up. Still should be fun but I'll try to do better next week... 


This time around I want you to imagine that you've been awarded a part in a fantasy novel. And you get to choose the type of character and race you wish to be. 

(I'll do Sci-fi the next time my muse takes a nap.)

Can be anything. King/Queen, Witch/Warlock, Dragon Tamer, Court Jester, Knight, Merchant, Blacksmith or Pirate. And pick a race like Fairy, Elf, Orc, Troll, Goblin, Dwarf or Human. The possibilities are endless. You can even name your character if you want but that is optional.

And for you Urban Fantasy fans it can be anything from teenage Werewolf to decaying Zombie.


♥ My Answer ♥


This was an easy one for me. Back in the far distant past I used to play Everquest. It was a sweet addiction and I still miss it. My very first character was a Wood Elf Druid. She had cute pointed ears, could charm animals, cast spells, and was second only to a cleric in her power to heal.

If I was ever offered a chance to be immortalized in a book she is EXACTLY what I'd choose to be. 

So how about you? What is your favorite type of character and why?


Don't like this question? Look here "Fun Fridays" and see if there is one you do like! Comments are always welcome, even on older posts.




Mulluane is a 55-year-old proud grandmother of 4, who is passionate about her pets, blogging, traditional fantasy, and tinkering with webdesign. She is obssesively photo shy but she uses an avatar that accurately represents her dreams. ♥ You can also find her on:

Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Pinterest
Dragons, Heroes and Wizards

11 comments :

  1. Easy as pie--human or elven minstrel with the ability to sing magic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Terry Brook's wishsong or Lackey's Bardic Voices?

      Delete
    2. Somewhat--I was mainly inspired by the anime Symphogear--where the heroes transform into superpowered armor by singing mystical words--so I transpanted the idea to a fantastic setting where those same incantations now cast real spells.

      Here's an example from the show--I have transcribed the transformation song as "Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul..." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pim6OENJnrI

      Delete
  2. Oh, that was easy for me as well: my first love was Tolkien's Middle Earth (still is!!) so I might go for Hobbit - because they know how to enjoy life - even though I might draw the line about hairy feet... (eeek!). Another good choice would be Ent: I take a long time to make up my mind on important choices, but once I do, nothing stops me!
    And I love growing things, something both races share: I could even produce my mint, basil and aromatic herbs windowsill pots as evidence... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kill things. Well except one big aloe vera. I try to kill it every year with a nasty dose of sunburn but It is stubborn and bounces back. I think, if this late freeze doesn't wipe it out, my mint might come back. Maybe.

      Delete
  3. A female dwarf, either healer, craftswoman, or both, depending on which profession looked most useful in the story. I've always had quite a soft spot for dwarves, tho other folk who are small, round, and well-fed aren't far behind, especially hobbits, gnomes, and the Hawaiian menehune and mu. {SMILE}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, we know each other too well. I bet myself that you'd go with dwarf! I'll have to read up on Hawaiian Folklore sometime. Any suggestions? Fiction based on lore preferred but I'll go dry fact if I have too.

      Delete
    2. Well, I suggest starting with Vivian Thompson's books. She was my first non-related writing mentor, but she was also well-known for her books of retold legends. Amazon knows of four books, but all five are still in print according to the publisher: http://www.uhpress.hawaii.edu/c-44-children.aspx?pagenum=3 (You have to back up to page 2 for _Aukele the Fearless_. (That's pretty amazing, considering that she died in the 2000-oughts, and Hawaiiana tends to drop authors' books when they die.) Anway, there are three books of short stories, and two of single legends. I think you like longer stories, you might start with _Kawelo, Roving Chief_ or _Aukele the Fearless_, the two single legend books. The character development and world development are probably not as deep as you prefer, but there is more than in the original legends. I knew Vi, as she was called, and I'm pretty sure she kept up the pace in part so you could read this out loud to a few children without the kids getting bored with too much village life or whatever slowing down the plot. {SMILE}

      The other three books are good, too, but the stories are shorter, with many per book. Those are _Hawaiian Myths of Earth, Sea, and Sky_, _Hawaiian Tales of Heroes and Champions_, and _Hawaiian Legends of Tricksters and Riddlers_. {Smile}

      Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. OMG! It is he-who-must-not-be-named! He is going to run amuk raping villages and pillaging virgins! Call out the dragons! Alert Homeland Security! Rally the Dwarves!

      Delete
  5. Do I really get to pillage virgins?? Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. Thanks for leaving your thoughts!

Love Fantasy? Enjoy Quotes? Book Reviews? Interviews? Lists?
Come Join In The Fun!
Please enter your email address to have our bats deliver great new content straight into your inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner
Thanks!