Friday, May 16, 2014

Fun Friday 18 ~ Who is Your Favorite Fantasy Witch?

Mulluane | Friday, May 16, 2014 | 10 Comments so far
Happy Dance! Not only is it friday but the storms just ended the 90F weather! Happy Happy, Joy Joy!

So here is a short weekly recap before we move on to the fun stuff.


Now on to the good stuff!

I promised we'd do a female magic wielder poll next time my muse took a walk. Well she has wandered off again so witches it is! Of course it can be mages or sorceresses or goddesses. As long as you love them and they control magic of some sort it counts.



I want to know who your favorite witch of all time is! 


I've got a varied list to get you started but there are a gazillion possibilities. 


Now, this is how I'm going to work this. As you leave your commented choice I will move the answer up the list. (I've tried polls in posts and they don't work very well.) First come, first serve until I get a duplicate answer. Once a witch gets 2 votes, she will then move up to #1. As votes add up, I will manually tally the numbers and slot the witch accordingly. Ties will be placed in order of deciding vote. In other words I am your personal poll assistant. 

*1 vote per commenter please.* 

Oh and your answer does not have to be on the list. Feel free to add your own or suggest I add any others to the list. But only your first choice counts as a vote.


♥ Witch List ♥


♦ 1 ♦
Granny Weatherwax (added by nathan @ Fantasy Review Barn) ~ 1 vote 


♦ 2 ♦
Melisandre, The Red Woman (Game of Thrones) ~ 1 vote

♦ 3 ♦ 
Jaenelle Angelline (Black Jewels Trilogy) ~ 1 vote (me)

♦ 4 ♦ 
Morgan La Fey("Excalibur") ~ 1 vote

♦ 5 ♦ 
Arista - Princess of Melengar ~ 1 vote (Added by Author David Burrows)

♦ 6 ♦
Polgara the Sorceress (Belgariad and Mallorean)

♦ 7 ♦
Jadis of Charn, the White Witch (Narnia)

♦ 8 ♦ 
Hermione Granger (Harry Potter)

♦ 9 ♦
Aunt Clara (Bewitched)

♦ 10 ♦
Glinda, the Good Witch of the South (The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

♦ 11 ♦
Morag (The Elfstones of Shannara)

♦ 12 ♦
Medea (Greek Mythology)





So how about you? Who is your favorite Witch, female Mage or Sorceress? And please folks, join in the fun. Don't be shy! We LOVE comments here and I'll personally answer each and every one.


Don't like this question? Look here "Fun Fridays" and see if there is one you do like! Comments are always welcome, even on older posts.




Mulluane is a 55-year-old proud grandmother of 4, who is passionate about her pets, blogging, traditional fantasy, and tinkering with webdesign. She is obssesively photo shy but she uses an avatar that accurately represents her dreams. ♥ You can also find her on:

Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Pinterest
Dragons, Heroes and Wizards

10 comments :

  1. What? Where is Granny Weatherwax? THE number one witch of all time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? You must have missed her! She is right there on top....

      Delete
  2. Mmmmm.... I'm not quite prepared on the subject of witches...
    Being a GRR Martin fan I could go with Melisandre, unless... Do the Bene Gesserits qualify? In the Dune universe they are always called "Bene Gesserit Witches", after all...
    **questioning face** :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, heck if I know. Only requirements were females who use magic.

      Delete
    2. Well, what the B.G. do is not exactly magic, even though it appears so to the people they apply their skills to... Ok, I'll go with Melisandre then - because the night is dark and full of terrors! LOL

      Delete
  3. Sorry I took so long to reply. I don't really pay particular attention to characters because they use magic. I guess Kethry of Mercedes Lackey's Vows and Honor sub-series within the Valdemar series (the ones that compound "oath" with assorted words).

    But...

    There's always going to be a "but" with me, isn't there? {rueful smile}

    If I can choose not just a character, but a particular story (stories?) the character appears in separating it from all the other stories about the character... then I do have quite a soft spot for Morgana of Faerie in the Ogier the Dane cycle from the Cycles of Charlemange. Yes, the character is Morgan Le Fey, who gave King Arthur so much trouble because she wanted the kind of power he had. In there, she's the kind of gal you just love to hate. {smile}

    Ogier the Dane doesn't show the same side of her at all. She's got realm in Faerie that she rules already. She finds an injured knight, and takes him home. She heals him up, and they become lovers. He refuses every title she offers her: he'll be neither knight, nor prince, nor king nor counselor. Well, husband and consort are okay, but nothing with political power attached. That he leaves to her.

    Faced with a man who acknowledges her magical and political power and wants none for himself, she's a different woman. Softer, kinder... even permissive to a point. She even lets him go back to the mortal realm for another lifetime, as long as he stays faithful as her husband, returns when he's done, and doesn't make this a habit. {Smile}

    I can recognize the character similarities between her in King Arthur and in Ogier the Dane, but I like her when she's with Ogier. He brings out her good side, and that makes all the difference. {Smile}

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a toughie. No witch really leaps out at me - which is probably a good thing. And yet, strangely, I like a tale with a witch in it.. Michael Sullivan's books have a witch called Arista - she is the Princess of Melengar. She was trained by a wizard whose hands were cut off to prevent his spell casting - brutal. Can't think of many more witches. On your list I'd vote for Morgan Le Fey as i really liked King Arthur tales. I named a witch in my book after the mother in law. I used an anagram (or close to it) of Moira and came up with Ariome. That got me into real trouble.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. Thanks for leaving your thoughts!

Love Fantasy? Enjoy Quotes? Book Reviews? Interviews? Lists?
Come Join In The Fun!
Please enter your email address to have our bats deliver great new content straight into your inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner
Thanks!