Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Book Blogging Tips: Make Sharing Easy | Prequel

Mulluane | Wednesday, December 03, 2014 | 2 Comments so far
I remember fondly starting my blogs back in 2008. It did not take long before I was a part of a community I never knew existed. A community of book bloggers. Back then it was a small group. Maybe 200 SFF bloggers worldwide. And it was awesome. We were featured in each other's blog rolls. We shared each other's posts. We commented religiously. We even had our own forum. SEO was easy. It depended heavily on backlinks and as a community, we made sure to link to each other frequently.

Unfortunately, in 2009 I lost internet access and could not blog anymore.

Fast forward to 2014. My area finally gets DSL and I quickly started blogging again. And I discovered a vastly different atmosphere.
  • Seo is now so complicated it has spawned its own community of bloggers just to help us navigate the changes. 
  • The small, select SFF community has now exploded into 1000's, maybe even 10's of 1000's of bloggers. More than I could ever hope to develop a relationship with. 
  • Twitter has exploded as has Goodreads. 
  • Facebook is now worthless unless you can pay and Librarything is almost dead. 
  • On the upside I discovered Tumblr, Pinterest, DeviantArt, Buffer, PicMonkey and Listly to mention a few. Yay! New programs to play with!
So I've spent the last year exploring, testing, reading, researching and redesigning my blogs. My posts as a result have been a bit sparse, my followers a bit slim, but I now feel alot more comfortable with the process.

And you know what I discovered? Sharing is still the key to SEO. Main difference is that it is alot more visual, less likely to be reciprocated and the focus is different. Now the focus is to sell yourself as an expert in your genre. The more quality content you share, the more people will take you seriously and visit your blog!

Personally, I miss the old way so I still tend to share content from the blogs I admire, even if nobody notices. But that brings us to the purpose of this post and the series to follow. There are a plethora of blogs I either can't share or I have to put alot of work into creating a good share from scratch. Here is a quick list of the reasons why:
  • No image or image is too small or too wide.
  • No alt text on images
  • No RSS feed. 
  • No subscribe by email either.
  • No share buttons.
  • No tweetable text.
  • No pinned tweet or Facebook post.
  • No follow buttons or hard to find.
Old Bat's Belfry: Make Sharing Easy! | Prequel post outlining what I'll be discussing. Stay Tuned!What I plan is to to do a series of posts which suggest solutions for each of the listed issues plus I have a bunch of tips and tricks on how to make your content stand out in the crowd while increasing your SEO.

Note: I will be focusing on the blogger platform. Some of the things I'll be going over, Wordpress already has plugins for.

Blogger on the other hand has the tools you need in place but you'll have to manually make use of them. Something you are likely already accustomed to doing. And the reason why I love blogger. I want to learn how to make blogger do what I want it to do instead of just installing a plugin.

Please understand that I am not a trained expert. Everything I do is self taught. I have however, done alot of research, experimenting, coding and testing. My solutions may not be perfect, or WC3 compliant, but they work. Plus, I'll be linking back to the real experts whenever possible.

So what do you think? Love the idea? Is there anything you are particularly interested in learning about? Anything I missed? Do you hate it? "Hey Mulluane, I just want you to post more reviews and quotes, I don't care about SEO, sharing and visibility!"

Let me know in the comments. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.



Mulluane is a 55-year-old proud grandmother of 4, who is passionate about her pets, blogging, traditional fantasy, and tinkering with webdesign. She is obssesively photo shy but she uses an avatar that accurately represents her dreams. ♥ You can also find her on:

Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Pinterest
Dragons, Heroes and Wizards

2 comments :

  1. Calling your efforts commendable would be a massive understatement! I'll look forward to your tips and to learning new skills :-)

    PS: the bat with the lightbulb-idea is TOO funny for words!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, thanks!

      Yeah I was trying to figure out what kind of graphic would match the post. Gave up and made my own...

      Delete

I LOVE comments. Thanks for leaving your thoughts!

Love Fantasy? Enjoy Quotes? Book Reviews? Interviews? Lists?
Come Join In The Fun!
Please enter your email address to have our bats deliver great new content straight into your inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner
Thanks!